The purpose of this article is to explain why Google+ is an important social media platform for a Healthcare Organization
What on earth is Google Plus
Google "Plus" was introduced in 2011 and has since become the second largest social network in the WORLD (only outnumbered by Facebook)
Google+ stands out from the social media crowd because of the concept of CLOUD Computing
It works much like other social media sites except that it integrates all of Google's other services - Search, Gmail, Maps, Calendar
There are almost 370 MILLION actively participating members.
Why is Cloud Computing so important for a Healthcare Organization?
Let's start with explaining what Could computing is. It is storing and accessing data and programs over the internet versus an actual computer hard drive.
- This allows Google+ to offer HIPPA Compliance (a critical feature for businesses that handle healthcare information)
- This gives the healthcare industry quick, safe and accurate access to healthcare information
- Allows healthcare employees to have access to their information when the need it, where they need it.
Google+ provides your Healthcare Organization with powerful tools that you can use through Cloud Computing
- Audiences can be segmented by CIRCLES to target specific messages to specific segments of your audiences
- Use HANGOUT a free alternative video chat up to 10 people versus video conference call software or using webinar or broadcast a public video with Hangout On Air
- Increase visibility of blog posts with AUTHORSHIP by linking your articles to this application
- Participate in COMMUNITIES to have discussions, asks questions or provide advice
- Use WHAT'S HOT application to see what the popular and trending topics are based on hashtag trends
- Get found in LOCAL search results since Google+ is combined with Pages, Maps and Search you're automatically part of that social component allowing people to see your ratings, hours of operation and anything else you want to show all in one place.
When you're connected to Google+ you have the key to driving traffic to our website: Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs, Youtube, and Google (which just happens to be the largest search engine on the PLANET.)
Here's an example of the Children's National Medical Center in Google+
- The first thing you see when you get to the main page (on Google+) is a link to the Medical Center's main website
- Their Google+ account has a great mix of posts, photos and vidoes
- You have an immediate invitation to follow their Google+ page
- There's a picture focusing on a curious child
- Whether you are a follower or not you can post a comment on anything that is posted publicly, which is great to see because it engages the viewer and allows active participation on the site from the Medical Center
- I do wish that they would have the mission statement or some type of a purpose statement for all to see at the start of the page. If the viewer is unfamiliar with the Medical Center a short purpose statement indicating what the Medical Center is or does is important to connect to the page.
Here's an example of a video on how to set up your Google+ Page
This video is great because it shows in a very simple way how to get started, and how easy it can be to expand the marketing platform for your business with no cost. Once the initial set up is complete, the rest is up to you in how many of the tools you will utilize to maximize your business on Google+.
Did I mention Google+ is FREE. That's right. No cost to you.
In today's world of budget cuts and financial strain, the fact that Google+ is free to businesses should be music to your ears.
If you are a Nonprofit Organization it cannot get any better than this!
Whether your Healthcare Organization is big or small there are 370 Million people on this network that you can connect with, and 6 incredible tools to help you get started.
Children's National Medical Center
Growing your business with Google+
Here are some great links for more information:
6 Ways nonprofits can use Google Plus 6 Ways nonprofits can use Google plus
Why your nonprofit needs to be on Google+ Today
22 Must-Circle nonprofits on Google+
Google Plus for Nonprofits
The Ultimate 2 Minute Google+ Guide for Nonprofits
Why Healthcare Organizations should add Google+ to their Social Media Mix
Google+ and Why every Healthcare Organization needs a social profile
Hosting a Google+ Hangout on Air for your Healthcare Organization
6 Google+ Positives for Healthcare
Google+ local is now friendlier to Healthcare
5 Social Media Trends that will change out Healthcare Marketers Aproach strategy in 2014
The healthcare industry is moving to Google Apps for Work (2015 article - HIPPA)
How 3 of Healthcare IT's Top Companies Are Tackling social media in a highly regulated industry
24 Outstanding Statistic & Figures on How Social Media has impacted the Healthcare Industry
Google+ vs Facebook: The comparison
Investigatin of Google+ with mobile device implement into public health nursing practice course
The success of Google Search, the Failure of Google Health nd the Future of Google Plus
Assessing Patient Satisfaction through Patient-Authored Reviews of HealthCare Systems, Hospitals, and Clinics
Hangout at the library: video conferencing and more with Google+
Subculture-centered public health communication: A social media strategy
Physical Activity Line
The fifty percent rule: The challenge of engaging students in social media in the classroom